Mission & Core Values
The Dean of Students Office is committed to creating opportunities for student success, and we believe in a challenging and supportive institutional approach to development of the whole student.
The Dean of Students Staff:
- Place Students First – We are here for the students and they are our inspiration, our energy source, and our purpose. Students first means deciding in the interest of the student whenever possible as long as core institutional values and academic integrity remain intact. Students first does not mean always saying “yes” to students and “no” may be an educationally appropriate answer.
- Are Role Models – We conduct ourselves ethically, professionally, and with integrity.
- Value Differences – We respect and value differences and we believe that each person has worth and dignity and is to be treated equitably.
- See Knowledge As Power – We believe that knowledge is power and is most enhanced when it is shared.
- See Education As Holistic – We believe that education is a holistic experience and student growth and development occur in and outside the classroom.
*Special Note: As the Dean of Students Office includes the UNM Office of Parents and Families, we also serve the interests of parents and family members of UNM students. Thus departmental statements about students are inclusive of parents and families and the shared goal we all have to help students succeed. Please see our Parents as Partners page for more information.