Alternative Spring Break
Every year since 2011, Lobos have traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana for the Alternative Spring Break (ASB) Program. ASB is a chance for students to give back to the greater community by working alongside Camp Restore, an organization that helps to connect us with community service projects in and around the New Orleans area, such as rebuild houses for those affected by Hurricane Katrina. Find ASB on Facebook by searching for UNM Alternative Spring Break.
Deadline to Apply: Monday, January 29th, 5 P.M. || Submit applications to the Dean of Students Office
Download Application: 2018 ASB Application
UNM Alternative Spring Break (ASB) is a service-learning opportunity for UNM students. We will travel to New Orleans, LA to participate in community engagement projects in areas still feeling the effect of Hurricane Katrina. During the trip, students will develop and use skills in the areas of home-building, teamwork, and leadership. We will also have opportunities to visit historical sites, learn about the culture, and eat great food.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements and Conditions for Participation
· You certify that the information you provide throughout the application process is accurate and complete.
· Your completed application, including deposit, short answer essay, and proof of medical insurance, is submitted by the deadline.
· You are in good academic standing and have no pending disciplinary case or record and understand that any past record or current disciplinary case may prohibit participation in the Alternative Spring Break program.
· In order to be eligible, applicants must be currently enrolled students (Undergrad or Graduate Students) for the 2017-2018 Academic Year with a Cumulative GPA of 2.5.
· Pay all deposits and final payments by the stated deadlines. All payments are non-refundable and must be paid by Money Order, Cashier’s Check or Cash. Your payment will cover the cost of air fare, meals, and lodging. Ground transportation in New Orleans to and from the work site, as well as the airport, will be provided. Checks and money orders can be made out to Dean of Students UNM.
Financial Commitment - Your initial deposit indicates your commitment to attend this trip. In the event you are unable to attend, payment for your flight will still be required.
Deposit (with Application)
Monday – 01/29/2018
Wednesday – 02/14/18
Wednesday – 03/07/2018
Total amount due: $600
Please contact Anna Trillo by phone (505-277-3361) or email if you have questions.
Learn: Camp Restore
Explore: New Orleans
See and read about past trips: ASB Blog