Student Advocacy


facebook   twitter   email   


Dean of Students Office

MSC 06 3600
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131

Physical Location:
University Advisement & Enrichment Center
Room 280

Phone: 505-277-3361
Fax: 505-277-0370

Student Advocacy


Absence Notification

Click here for information about absence notifications. 

Domestic Partnerships

Domestic partners and their dependents shall be granted the same services and benefits as those provided to married spouses and their dependents, except where expressly prohibited by law. All University policies that affect students, spouses, and their families also apply to students, domestic partners, and their families.
Benefits provided for students by the University of New Mexico:

Golf Course:

Students and spouses/domestic partners receive a discount, provided they have the student’s current ID card. Please call the golf course at 505-277-4546 for exact rates. Hours courses may be used are: all day Monday through Thursday, and after 1:00 pm on Friday through Sunday.

Recreational Services:

Students have free access to the: swimming pool, weight room, basketball courts, and equipment check-out. Spouses/domestic partners can purchase a pass for the same benefits.

Student Health Center:

If a student carries insurance, their spouses/domestic partners can also purchase student insurance, which does not include the Student Health Center. The Center will provide a list of clinics in Albuquerque.

New Mexico Educators Federal Credit Union:

Spouses/domestic partners can join as an immediate family member, but must show proof of relationship and identification.

Student Family Housing:

Check with the Housing Collections Office at 505-277-2606 for Student Housing information.

Click here for more information about the qualifying criteria for domestic partnerships, qualifying as a dependent of domestic partnerships, and termination of domestic partnership.

If you meet the domestic partnership criteria, download and fill out the application by clicking here.

Hate Bias Incident Reporting

If you have been the subject of or a witness to a bias incident, please complete and submit this report to the Division for Equity & Inclusion. UNM will protect your anonymity and confidentiality to the extent permitted by law. Click here to report an incident.

Mediation and Conflict Resolution

Mediation is a voluntary and confidential dialogue between disagreeing parties for the purposes of sharing interests and reaching a mutual resolution. Mediators are third-party neutral participants, trained in supporting the disputants as they resolve their conflict. Parties are accountable for creating their own outcomes and agreements, while mediators simply facilitate the process.

What we mediate:

  • Roommate conflicts
  • Neighbor disputes
  • Work-related disputes
  • Disagreements in student groups
  • Conflicts with teachers or campus staff
  • Conflicts in campus organizations

For more information, please contact:


Email address

Phone number

Rob Burford, Student Conduct Officer
Dean of Students Office


Holly Meyer, Coordinator Program Advisement  
Nuclear Engineering
Biomedical Engineering

Military Withdrawals

For more information, please visit the Military Withdrawals page, or visit the Veterans Resource Center.

Short Term Disabilities

Visit the Information for Students with Temporary Disabilities page if you have a short term disability that does not qualify for permanent assistance from the Accessibility Resource Center. This page includes resources to assist you with getting help until you are better.

Short Term Loans

The Dean of Students Office offers students short term loans for emergency situations, should they meet the following loan requirements:

  • Have a 2.0 or higher GPA
  • Must be enrolled for at least 6 hours (unless it is during summer or intersession semesters – see below)
  • Cannot have more than one short term student loan out at a time with the University
  • Cannot be regular full or part-time UNM faculty or staff members earning benefits (student employees and work-study students are eligible)
  • Can only receive up to two short-term loans per semester
  • Cannot have a past due balance of more than $200
  • Can only receive up to $800.00 for an Emergency Short-Term Loan
  • Will need to repay their loan within 45 days

*During summer school a student must be either enrolled for summer or be enrolled for at least
six hours for the fall semester.
*During the intersession a student must be enrolled for the following semester.

Visit the Dean of Students Office to apply for a Short Term Loan.

Student Death Notices

A student death is a heartfelt event - for family and friends of the deceased and for members of the University community. In dealing with a student's death, the University faces the challenges of coping with the loss, making the best possible sense of the event, contacting and attending to the family, and more.

The Dean of Students Office serves as the primary institutional contact office for the Central Campus in instances of student death. The Dean of Students Office will contact and serve as the University liaison to the family. In addition, the Dean of Students Office will notify the student's faculty members and the appropriate University offices to process and close the student's University records.

Please contact us at 505 - 277-3361 if you know that a student has passed away.

Student Handbook

UNM's Student Handbook is also known as Pathfinder. Visit the Pathfinder to learn about campus services and policies.

Tuition Appeals

Tuition refund dates are published in the UNM schedule of classes. Tuition refund requests that occur after the published deadlines are reviewed by the Dean of Students Office and Bursar's Office. Where you submit your tuition refund request depends on the reason you are requesting the refund.

Click here to download the Tuition Refund Appeal form. 

The Dean of Students Office will review appeals in the following circumstances:

Medical Condition of Student or Immediate Family Member

  • If a student is unable to continue their course(s) due to a serious medical or mental health condition.
  • A medical or mental health emergency of an immediate family member:

    • Spouses
    • UNM registered domestic partners
    • Children
    • Parents
    • Mother-in-laws
    • Father-in-laws
    • Grandparents
    • Siblings
  • Medical or mental health problems that the student was aware of before the refund deadlines might be considered, provided the appeal includes reasons for not dropping the courses on time.
  • Refunds normally do not exceed 50% of the tuition amount.
  • Submit your Refund Appeals Request Form to the Dean of Students Office with documentation supporting your appeal request.

Death of a Family Member

  • If a student leaves the University because of a death in the family, she/he may be eligible for a refund. This includes deaths of:
    • Spouses
    • UNM registered domestic partners
    • Children
    • Parents
    • Mother-in-laws
    • Father-in-laws
    • Grandparents
    • Siblings
  • Appeals should include specifics (depression, handling of the estate, assuming family responsibilities).
  • Refunds normally do not exceed 50% of the tuition amount.

Follow These Guidelines to Submit your Appeal:

  • Prior to requesting a tuition refund, withdraw from your courses via LoboWeb or by contacting the Dean of Students Office. Should you fail to drop your course(s), we will not be able to process your tuition refund request.
  • Submit your Refund Appeal Request Form (military withdrawals require separate paperwork which can be found here) to the Dean of Students Office with documentation supporting your request to appeal.
  • Documentation may include one or all of the following:
    • Letter from your physician or mental health professional
    • A death certificate
    • A funeral program
    • Military orders
    • Any official documentation that will verify your request to appeal
  • Financial Aid and Scholarship recipients also need to contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Offices to request a leave of absence.

Military Withdrawals For more information, please visit the Military Withdrawals page.

For all other tuition refund appeals, please contact the Bursar's Office (505-277-5363).