Short Term Loans
Please read the following information before beginning your application:
Receiving a Short-Term Loan may impact your ability to register for classes depending on the part of the term, your past due balance, and other factors. For example, a prior semester balance may result in a student's disenrollment from classes after the Enrollment Cancellation deadline. Registration holds are also possible. Please evaluate the short and long-term impact of a Short-Term Loan prior to applying. Dean of Students Office staff can assist you if you have any questions.
Click here to begin your Short-Term Loan Application
As of 12/2/2022, we are no longer processing loans for the Fall 2022 semester. All loans will be processed for the Spring 2023 semester until further notice.
- A 2.0 or higher GPA
- Current enrollment at UNM for at least 6 hours*
- Past due balance in Bursar’s must be less than $200.00
A Service Charge of 7% is added to all loans when processed. If requesting the full $800.00, the Service Charge is $56.00.
- Students may receive up to two Short-Term Loans per semester.
- Only one Short-Term Loan may be taken out at a time, and loans must be repaid in full prior to any application for a second loan.
- New/transfer students who do not have a UNM GPA are not eligible for Short-Term Loans before the semester census date. Please see registrar.unm.edu for current semester dates.
- Regular full or part-time UNM faculty or staff members earning benefits are not eligible for a Short-Term Loan (student employees and work-study students are eligible).
- Students at UNM Main and Branch Campuses are eligible.
- The maximum loan amount is $800.00 (plus the 7% service charge).
- Short-Term Loan funds are disbursed via direct deposit from the Bursar's Office unless direct deposit information is not available. Students who do not have current direct deposit information may receive a check in the mail approximately 2 weeks after loan approval.
- Short-Term Loans and the associated 7% service charge must be repaid within a minimum of 45 days of the processing date.
- Payment should be made to the Bursar’s Office. The Dean of Students Office cannot accept any form of payment for a Short-Term Loan.
- Sources of Financial Aid that do not specify the type of charges that will be covered may automatically pay back your Short-Term Loan when applied to your Bursar's account.
- Short-Term Loans may not be used to pay back the University (including the Bursar’s Office, the Bookstore, or Residence Life & Student Housing).
- Loans are typically direct deposited within 24-72 hours. Weekend deposits may take an additional 24 hours depending on your bank.
- Loan processing closes at 2:30 PM, Monday thru Friday. Students who apply for a loan after 2:30 PM will have to wait till the next business day for the loan to be processed.
Our staff, at any time during the application process, may request additional information regarding your application or your answers in response to the questions on our loan forms. Any abuse of the Short-Term Loan program will result in an immediate denial of your application and may result in the removal of your Short-Term Loan privileges.
Abuse of the Short-Term Loan program may include, but is not limited to:
- Use of funds to pay back your Bursar’s bill
- Intentional enrollment into classes in order to be eligible for a loan, without the intention of remaining in those courses
- Use of funds by another person, including UNM students, family, or friends**
Should you be denied the privilege of requesting future loans, you may appeal our decision in the form of a written appeal to the Dean of Students which includes:
- A detailed and immediate reason for requesting a reinstatement of loan privileges
- An explanation for why you believe your privileges were revoked and your agreement to avoid repeating this in the future
- Explicit acknowledgement of all terms associated with the Short-Term Loan program
If, after submitting a formal appeal, our original decision is sustained, that decision will be final while you attend UNM and will no longer be eligible for appeal.
Please contact the Dean of Students Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (505) 277-3361 if you have accessibility needs or cannot complete the online application form.
*During summer school a student must be either enrolled in a minimum of 3 credit hours for the summer semester or six hours for the upcoming fall semester.
*Between semesters, a student must be enrolled for the upcoming semester.
**Under certain circumstances, funds may be approved for expenses that are not your own but directly benefit your ability to pursue your higher education. These expenses may include requests for funds that will help you maintain your housing, such as housing provided by a family member or guardian, and other basic necessities such as transportation, groceries for your family/household, etc.